Sunday, February 22, 2015

Go-To Dessert Bars

I remember the first time I made this bar recipe: I had convinced my mom that she should let me try a new recipe for the summer family reunion with her cousins and their families.  Of course, we have our classic dessert bar recipes, like Double Chocolate Crumble Bars and Peanut Logs, but I decided it was time to mix things up.  So, I headed on to one of my favorite sources for delicious recipes, the Taste of Home website, and ran across this recipe.  From reading my blog, you will quickly realize that I cannot resist any food that has peanut butter and chocolate in it, and these bars were no different.  They were a hit at the reunion, and my mom had to send out multiple e-mails the next day with the recipe.  We have made them countless times since and they never disappoint!


Peanut Butter Blondies

Ingredients

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 cup peanut butter chips
Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup baking cocoa
2 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter chips

Directions

1. Cream the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.
2. Combine flour and baking powder.  Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
3. Stir in peanut butter chips.
4. Spread into a greased 13"x9" baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
5. For the frosting, combine the butter, baking cocoa, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla.
6. Gradually add the powdered sugar; beat until smooth.
7. Frost brownies.  Sprinkle with peanut butter chips. Cut into bars.
My Notes: I find that my bars are usually done in 25-30 minutes - make sure to check them earlier so that the edges do not get too dark. Also, I am usually generous with my peanut butter chips - both the amount I stir in and what I sprinkle on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment